Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Happy Inside

Have you ever had one of those moments when your child says something so adult and full of wisdom, that you just want to grab them, hug then and say a silent thank you that you created such a wonderful person as a small tear rolls down your cheek?  I had one of those moments last night with Keegan.



I think my perspective on how "guys" think is skewed just a bit.  I hate to say it but I have grown up knowing too many men who, lets just say, have only three things on there mind - Food, Sports and Sex (in no particular order).  So when I look at my sons I sometimes wonder what I have created and will someday unleash on the world.

Last night as my youngest two sons and I were talking about our day and our plans for the rest of the week, I mentioned that I was thinking about getting my hair cut but was nervous to go too short.  When they asked why I said jokingly "well if it turns out ugly then maybe Daddy won't love me anymore."  To this Keegan stood up, scrunched up his 8 year old face, placed his fisted hands on his hips and replied " MOM, you don't love a girl cause she is pretty, you love a girl cause she makes you all happy inside!"

I couldn't have been more proud of him at that moment and proud of myself for raising such a wonderful, insightful little man.  I grabbed hold of him and hugged him and told him that he was right and asked how he got so smart.  He answered with his stock comment "Well you made me this way, didn't you?"

I sure hope that this stays with him as he gets older and peer pressure sets in.  I hope that one day he meets his soul mate and only looks at the happy inside him and not her outer appearance.

LOVE YOU KEEGAN!

~Just Me

No comments:

Post a Comment