Sunday, June 14, 2009

Multi Tasking Hell

As a woman and a mother I had to learn early how to multi task. I still remember after my first was born. I was the only one in the company that even knew how to turn on the computer let alone print out the paychecks. Because of this I went back to work, part time, 1 week after she was born.

I remember sitting at the computer desk (1989, before Windows) with a newborn at my breast, a telephone tucked between my chin and my shoulder calming a client, while inputting employee hours so they could get paid.

Then came baby #2, #3, #4, #5 ..... If I didn't multi task the world would have collapsed!

The problem is that my mind is so used to multi tasking now that I can't stop! I find it totally impossible to only do one thing at a time. If I try I feel "lost" or a horrid sense of urgency that I am forgetting or missing something.

Even if it is as simple as drinking a cup of tea, eating a slice of toast and typing this post. I just can't do ONE thing.

I guess I get more accomplished like this but when you are driving long distance with nothing else to do but drive, it can be a pain. I have tried books on tape but I don't like them since I like to "hear" the characters voices in my head and not just a narrator. Someone even suggested some form of "in seat exercise" but I am not that coordinated to drive and exercise at the same time.

Anyway, I was wondering, am I the only one that suffers from multi tasking hell?

~Just Me

No comments:

Post a Comment